Healthy Eating Plan for Anxiety & Depression
Healthy Eating Plan
Did you know that eating good food feels good? Wouldn’t it be
great if everyone came to a point where they wanted to eat healthy just because they wanted to feel healthy! I believe that many times the reason we feel anxious or depressed is because of the foods we eat.
Because our diets do not contain the nutrients that our body needs we continue to feel worse instead of better. By adding live, organic power foods to our diet we can begin to feel better and thus be more motivated to stay on a treatment plan to control our anxiety.
Most people look at diets as just a way to lose weight. But your diet is so much more than that. Healthy eating can fight fatigue, increase your energy, combat disease, brighten your mood, improve your skin, hair and nails and of course, control your weight.
I have found that an easy way to get live nutritious foods that cleanse, detoxify and fill our bodies with healing nutrients is through delicious fruit and green smoothies.
All it takes to start down the road to a healthier you is to add at least one green smoothie to one of your daily meals. Drink it just before sitting down to eat your meal. You don’t have to replace your meal, just add it to your meal.
Healthy Food List
We recommend fresh, organic vegetables. The fresher the better!
Arugula, Basil, Beet Greens, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Celery, Chard, Cilantro, Collards, Kale, Mixed Greens, Mint, Mustard Greens, Parsley, Spinach, Turnip Greens
To sweeten and enhance the flavor of your smoothies, add these scrumptious fruits:
Apricot, Apple, Avocado, Banana, Bell Pepper, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Cantaloupe, Cranberries, Cucumber, Grapes, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew, Kiwi, Lemon Limes, Mango, Orange, Papaya, Pear, Peach, Pineapple, Plums, Raspberries, Star Fruit, Strawberries, Tomato, Watermelon
If you like a sweeter smoothie, try Agave Nectar, Stevia or Honey. Whatever you do, don’t add artificial sweeteners or sugar!
To further boost the nutrition in your smoothies, add these super foods:
Acai Berries, Almond Butter, Aloe Vera, Avocado, Bee Pollen, Cayenne Pepper, Chia Seeds, Coconut Milk and Coconut Water, Flax Seed, Garlic, Ginger, Maca Powder, Pumpkin, Raw Chocolate, Sprouts and Wheatgrass
It’s amazing how easy it is to make these smoothies and how they are a complete meal packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, fat and antioxidants! And so delicious!
Blenders for Smoothies
You can also use a more economical blender like the Ninja Professional.
Once you fall in love with smoothies and start using your blender on a daily basis, you’ll probably want to upgrade to a more powerful and durable blender. A good blender makes a better consistency and better tasting smoothie.
How to Stack the Blender
The proper way to make a smoothie is to layer the ingredients:
Bottom – Liquids
2nd layer – Solids
3rd layer – Frozen fruit or ice
4th Layer – Greens
5th Layer – Seeds or oils
If you’re not ready to purchase a more powerful blender here are some tips to help lessen the burden on your blender:
- Avoid leafy chunks of greens by blending them first with some liquid. Then add the remaining ingredients and finish blending.
- If you are going to use frozen fruits, defrost them prior to adding them to the blender.
- If the motor sounds like it’s stuck, add a little more liquid.
That’s It! Grab some great recipes and your ready to blend!
Since it is important to detoxify prior to beginning any new nutritional protocol, i.e. adding natural supplements for anxiety to your treatment plan, we recommend you start with this 3 day detox and cleanse smoothie recipe.
To detox and cleanse your body, drink these three smoothies for 3 consecutive days.
|1 Cup Water||1/2 Cup Almond Milk||1 1/2 Cup Coconut Water|
|2 Tsp Lemon Juice||1/2 Lime||1 Tbsp Lemon Juice|
|1 Cup Raspberries||4 Celery Stalks||1/2 Cup Mango|
|1 Banana||1 Cucumber||1 Cup Blueberries|
|1/4 Cup Spinach||1 Cup Pineapple||1 Cup Kale|
|1 Tbsp Almond Butter||1/2 Green Apple||1/4 Avocado|
|1 Tbsp Flax Seeds||1 Cup Kale||1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper|
|1 Tbsp Coconut Oil||1 Tbsp Flax Seeds|
- Need an anti-inflammatory? Try adding 20 cherries to your smoothies daily. Cherries are great for sore joints and throbbing headaches. The secret is the anthocyanins found in the red color of the cherry.
- Add a cup of strawberries, raspberries or blueberries to help with pain. The secret is cyanidin, a plant compound that soaks into tissues and relieves inflammation.
- Add a cup of fresh pineapple to your smoothie daily to recover twice as fast from painful bruises and other injuries. The secret is the bromelain, a powerful enzyme that speeds healing.
- Do you have a tummy ache? Add 1/4 tsp of fennel seeds to your smoothie. Fennel seeds contain essential oils that improve digestion, slow down the formation of gas bubbles and prevent digestive tract muscles from spasming.
- Feeling a little anxious? Add almonds to your smoothie. Almonds contain calming magnesium and blood sugar stabilizing protein that work together to calm the jitters.
If you’re considering taking any herbal supplement as a treatment for anxiety, talk to your doctor first, especially if you take other medications. The interaction of some herbal supplements and certain medications can cause serious side effects.
If your anxiety is interfering with daily activities, talk with your doctor. More serious forms of anxiety generally need medical treatment or psychological counseling for symptoms to improve.